Relieve stress, aches and pain with the following nine tips:
- Inhale deeply then exhale all of the air out slowly. Visualize yourself inhaling energy and exhaling tension. Repeat three times.
- Tense all of your muscles as much as possible then relax them.
- Shrug your shoulders toward your ears and hold for five seconds. Relax.
- Open your mouth and stick your tongue out as far as possible.
- If you are at home, light a candle and focus on the flame for three to five minutes. Then close your eyes and watch the after-image of the flame.
- Sitting in a comfortable chair, place both feet on the floor and hands at your sides. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Say to yourself, “I am…” Breathing out, say, “Relaxed.” Continue to say “I am…relaxed,” for as many breaths as needed.
- If you are in pain, visualize your pain being wrapped up in a white cloud then blowing away along with the pain.
- Imagine a light bulb in the area of your body where you feel pain. Pretend you are dimming the light in the bulb until nothing is left but a feeling of warmth.
- Visualize putting your pain in a boat and watching it float away in the water.
Courtesy of Cindy Stark Reid, a licensed massage therapist at Cancer Wellness at Piedmont.